Pacific Lutheran University (PLU) is a private
university offering liberal arts and professional school programs
located in Parkland,
a suburb of Tacoma, Washington, United States. Founded by Norwegian Lutheran
pioneers in 1890, PLU is sponsored by the 580 congregations of
Region I of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America. PLU has approximately 3,300 students
enrolled. As of 2015, the school employs 216 full-time professors
on the 156-acre (630,000 m2) woodland campus.
PLU consists of the College of Arts and Sciences (including of
the Divisions of Humanities, Natural Sciences, and Social
Sciences), the School of Arts and Communication, the School of
Business, the School of Education and Kinesiology, and the School
Pacific Lutheran University was founded in 1890 by Norwegian
immigrants. In naming the university, these pioneers recognized the
role that a Lutheran educational institution on the Western
frontier could play in the region. They wanted the institution to
help immigrants adjust to their new land and find jobs, but they
also wanted it to produce graduates who would serve church and
community. Education—and educating for service—was a
venerated part of the Scandinavian traditions from which these
Classes first began in 1894 with the student body consisting of
30 students. Tuition at the time cost $1 per week.
Bjug Harstad was the school’s first
president. The entire university was housed in one building from
1894-1912. This building was formally known as Old Main but has
since been renamed Harstad Hall in honor of the school’s
In 1898 the university's name was changed to Pacific Lutheran
Academy and Business College. Attempting to eliminate the debt
plaguing the school, Bjug Harstad left for Alaska to search for
gold. He spent one and one half years there but was unable to
discover any gold.
In 1902 the PLA athletic club celebrated its first victory in men's
basketball with a 15-12 win over the University of Washington.
Five years later women would be allowed to play basketball.
In 1912 a second building, a gymnasium, was constructed on the
university campus. It included a track, a stage, and a science
laboratory in the basement. Two years later students built a tennis
court in what is now Red Square.
By 1914 PLA received full accreditation meaning students could
transfer to universities and retain their credits.
Although founded as a university, the institution functioned
primarily as an academy until 1918, when it closed for two
It reopened as the two-year Pacific Lutheran College, after merging
with Columbia College, previously located in Everett. Further
consolidations occurred when Spokane College merged with PLC in
Four-year baccalaureate degrees were first offered in education in
1939 and in the liberal arts in 1942. The institution was
reorganized as a university in 1960, reclaiming its original
initials can still be seen on this weather vane atop
In 1920 the school merged with Columbia College in Everett, Washington, and reopened
as Pacific Lutheran College. The reopening of the school also saw
the construction of a new building, the Chapel. Classes were held
in the Chapel until 1967. The Chapel was also the home of Trinity
Lutheran Church until the congregation built its own church in
The school's first football team was launched in 1926. They were
originally known as the "Greyhounds", then the "Gladiators"
(although they are unofficially referred to as the
That same year Polly Langlow, a member of PLC's women's basketball
team, scored 270 points in 12-games setting a national
A year later in 1927 the college's great musical tradition, the
Choir of the West, was founded. The Choir acquired its name on a
trip to the Great Lakes region.
Another merger occurred in 1929 when Spokane College, another Northwest Norwegian
Lutheran school, closed. Its academic records were merged with
PLC's, and several of its faculty members came to PLC.
In 1937 the university acquired the golf course through a generous
donation. The same year the cornerstone was laid for the new
1939 saw the first of several visits by Norwegian royalty when
Crown Prince Olav and Crown Princess
Märtha came to PLC's campus.
Rear view of Anderson University Center, showing the garden behind
During the early 1940s PLC's student body was almost all female
as most men were fighting in World War II. People returning to college
post-war, specifically veterans using the G.I.
Bill, caused a boom in enrollment. The student body at that
time was half veteran and no longer mostly female.
A number of new buildings were completed in the following years
including Ramstad Hall, Memorial Gymnasium, and the Student Union
Building (now renamed as Anderson University Center). In 1952 the
new Chapel-Music-Speech Building was constructed and later named
Eastvold Chapel (renamed in 2013 as the Karen Hille Phillips Center
for the Performing Arts). Chapel became mandatory for the first
time with attendance being taken and seats being assigned.
Two years later North and South Halls, the first dormitories, were
built (later renamed Hong Hall and Hinderlie Hall, respectively.)
Until that time students had lived in Old Main or boarded with
Reclaiming the original name, Pacific Lutheran College became
known as Pacific Lutheran University in 1960. Along with the name
of the school being changed the PLU mascot was also changed from
the Gladiators to the Knights.
The 1960s saw decade-long construction boom as ten buildings were
built by 1970, almost as many as had been built in the previous 70
The 1960s and 1970s were a time of great change on PLU's campus
when restrictions on student life began to loosen. Chapel was no
longer required and two dormitories become coed. Girls'
dormitories' restrictive hours were replaced with a card-key
system, and opposite-sex visitation was allowed 3 times a week
instead of 2 times a year.
Dancing was allowed for the first time on campus in 1963.
Several well known entertainers performed at PLU including
Louis Armstrong, Ray
Charles, The Steve Miller
Band, The Righteous Brothers, B.B. King, Ike & Tina
Turner, and Bob
Throughout its history PLU has remained close to its
Scandinavian roots. In 1975 the school played host to King Olav V
of Norway. Three years later in 1978, 14 members of Stortinget,
the Norwegian Parliament, visited PLU.
In 1982 King Carl XVI Gustav and Queen Silvia of Sweden visited
PLU and the following year Princess Astrid of
Norway also paid a visit to the university. That same year a
monument was erected in Valle, Norway, to honor the Rev. Bjug Harstad,
founder of PLU.
By 1989 a Scandinavian Cultural Center would be completed on the
lower floor of the University Center. King Harald V and Queen Sonja of Norway came to PLU in
1995 with Queen Sonja receiving an honorary Doctorate of Humane
Crown Prince Haakon of
Norway visited PLU in 1999.
Presidents of Pacific Lutheran University
The President of the Pacific Lutheran University is the
principal executive officer of Pacific Lutheran University.
The first President of the Pacific Lutheran University was
Rev. Bjug Harstad. The
entire university was housed in one building from 1894-1912. This
building was formally known as Old Main but has since been renamed
Harstad Hall in honor of the founding president.
The 13th and current President of the Pacific Lutheran
University is Thomas W. Krise, appointed in 2012.
Admission and financial
Tuition for the 2014-15 school year is $36,180 with room and
board costing $10,352.
More than 97 percent of PLU student receive some sort of financial
The 2012 U.S. News College and
University rankings listed PLU as the sixth best value
university in the west region.
The 2014-2015 student body is as follows: 62 percent female, 38
percent male; 23 percent are students of color; 76 percent are from
Washington state; 19
percent are Lutheran; 5 percent are international students
representing 26 countries.
The academic calendar at PLU is divided into two semesters, fall
and spring, with a one-month term during January known as J-term.
Summer classes are also offered. During J-term students take one
class for the entire month of January which counts as a normal
4-credit class one would take during a semester. PLU offers 44
majors and 54 minors in a wide array of disciplines as well as the
following graduate and professional degrees: Master of Arts in
Education; Master of Arts in Education with Initial Certification;
Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy; Master of Business
Administration; Master of Science in Finance; Master of Science in
Marketing Research; Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing Master
of Science in Nursing; Doctor of Nursing Practice.
Areas of Study
||MBA (Master of Business Administration)
||MFA (Master of Fine Arts)
||MAE (Master of Arts Education)
||MSF (Master of Science in Finance)
||MSMR (Master of Science in Marketing Research)
|Marriage & Family Therapy
||MFT (Master of Family Therapy)
||MSN (Master of Science Nursing), DNP (Doctor of Nursing
PLU is a member of The New American Colleges and Universities, a
national consortium of 22 selective, medium-sized (2,000-7,500
students) independent colleges and universities dedicated to the
purposeful integration of liberal education, professional studies,
and civic engagement.
This type of institution was called a New American College by
Ernest Boyer in a
series of influential essays and speeches in the 1990s. Since Boyer
coined this term, most of the institutions that have aligned with
this identity are referred to as universities; so, the term has
tended to become New American University.
Lutheran Higher Education
Within the intellectual tradition of Lutheran education, PLU presents seven elements
as distinguishing marks as the "genetic encoding" of Lutheran
education — an education committed to the advance of
knowledge, thoughtful inquiry and questioning, the preparation of
citizens in service to the world, and its own ongoing
The seven uplifted elements:
- Critical questioning of current knowledge and values
- Freedom for expression and protection of learning
- A liberating foundation in the liberal arts
- Learning and research within community
- The intrinsic value of the whole creation
- Discerning one’s vocation in the world
- Service to the advancement of life, health, and wholeness
Prominently highlighted in all academic programs is the
opportunity for international education. PLU holds the distinction
as being the first American university to have students studying
abroad on all seven continents at the same time
 In 2009 PLU became the
first university in Washington state and the first private
university on the west coast to receive the prestigious Senator
Paul Simon Award for Campus Internationalization.
In the same year PLU matched a $1 million grant from the Bill & Melinda
Gates Foundation to create a $2 million endowment to assist
low-income students to participate in study away programs.
The Wang Center for International Programs opened in 2002 as the
result of a $4 million donation from Peter, a 1960 PLU graduate,
and Grace Wang.
Nearly 50% of PLU students study away.
The Pacific Lutheran University campus is located six miles
south of Tacoma, Washington, in suburban Parkland, on a 156-acre woodland
campus. Joint Base Lewis-McChord is less than a half mile
west of Parkland. The campus is unofficially divided into two
sections, upper campus and lower campus.
Upper campus is home to many of the academic and administration
buildings including the Phillip Hauge Administration Building,
Mortvedt Library, Ramstad Hall and Xavier Hall. In 1964, the Board
of Regents engaged Richard Haag—'the father of Northwest
Landscape Architecture'—to design the landscape architecture
plan for upper campus.
Haag is famous for his work on Gas Works Park in Seattle, Washington
and on the Bloedel Reserve on Bainbridge Island as
well as the Seattle Center.
The Mortvedt Library offers over 260,000 volumes of books as
well as over 23,000 full-text journals. The oldest book in the PLU
collection is a psalter
by Johann Bugenhagen
published in 1524.
Built in 1937, Xavier Hall served as the library until the Mortvedt
Library was built in 1967. Since then the Division of Social
Sciences has been housed in Xavier. In 2000 Xavier underwent a $5
million renovation project that saw the addition of the Philip
Nordquist Lecture Hall.
The University Center is also located on upper campus. This
building houses the all-campus cafeteria, called the University
Commons, and the Old Main Market. In addition it houses the offices
of Campus Ministry, Student Involvement and Leadership, Residential
Life, the Diversity Center, the Scandinavian Center, Student Media,
Residence Hall Association, the Associated Students of PLU (ASPLU),
Dining Services, Conferences and Events, and the Chris Knutzen
Along with the academic and administration buildings upper
campus also houses PLU's art programs. The Mary Baker Russell Music
Center was built in 1997 and is the home of PLU's Department of
Music. The acoustically impressive and well-known Lagerquist
Concert Hall houses the Gottfried and Mary Fuchs Organ (the largest
University-based mechanical action organ on the West Coast)
as well as state-of-the-art practice and performance facilities.
Ingram Hall is home to a communication computer lab, a digital
photography/graphic design lab, and studio art classrooms for
painting, ceramics, sculpture, photography and printmaking. Ingram
boasts two galleries: the University Gallery (which houses major
shows and exhibitions) and the Wekell Gallery (which generally
houses student and class work). Eastvold Auditorium, formal called
Eastvold Chapel, seats 1100 and is the home of PLU Theatre.
Eastvold hosts all main stage productions as well as a range of
smaller productions throughout the year. In October 2011, PLU
Theatre premiered a new addition to its arts department, the Karen
H. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts. Named after the former
Regent, this space is a symbol of the completion of phase one in
Eastvold Auditorium's renovations. Eastvold is set to reopen with a
new performing arts center in the fall of 2013.
Lower campus is home to many of the university's athletic
facilities. These include Olson Auditorium, Memorial Gymnasium,
Names Fitness Center, and the university swimming pool. Also
located on lower campus are the Rieke Science Center, Morken Center
for Learning and Technology, Martin J. Neeb Building, and the Keck
Additional buildings around the perimeter of campus are also
used for University purposes, including offices, the Wang Center
for International Studies, East Campus, the Women's Center, the
University House and Trinity Lutheran Church.
PLU requires that all students under 20 years of age or junior
status on or before September 1 live on campus or at home with a
parent, spouse or child. Approximately half of all students
enrolled at PLU live on campus. There are ten residence halls at
PLU, with six located on upper campus and four located on lower
Every year, the PLU Football team helps move new students into
their PLU home.
The ten on campus residence halls:
- Harstad Hall, built in 1894, is the oldest building on
campus and housed the entire university from 1894 to 1912. It
became a residence hall in 1960. It is an all-female hall, the only
single sex hall on campus. Harstad is five stories tall and houses
approximately 200 female residents. In 1984 the building was listed
on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Hinderlie Hall, built in 1954, Hinderlie Hall was first
named South Hall but changed to Hinderlie in 1966 in honor of
Berent and Ragna Hinderlie, university staff members between 1923
and 1955. The hall is four stories tall, with resident rooms on
each floor including the south side of the basement, which is open
to the hillside. Approximately 130 residents reside in
- Hong International Hall, built in 1954, was originally
named North Hall. In 1966 the building was renamed in honor of Nils
Joseph Hong, president from 1898 until 1918 and a faculty member at
Pacific Lutheran College until he retired in 1938.
The hall has five language wings (Norwegian, Chinese, French, German, and Spanish) and the International Honors wing.
Approximately 75 residents reside in Hong.
- Kreidler Hall, built in 1957, was originally named West
Hall. In 1966 the hall was renamed Kreidler Hall after Lora
Bradford Kreidler, the Dean of Women and teacher of arts from 1921
to 1943. All rooms in Kreidler are single rooms and students must
be 20 years of age or junior standing to reside in Kreidler.
Approximately 65 students reside in Kreidler.
- Stuen Hall, built in 1966, is named after Ole J. Stuen,
faculty member and administrator from 1913 to 1952. Approximately
100 residents reside in Stuen.
- Ordal Hall, built in 1967, is named in honor of Ola J.
Ordal, president of Pacific Lutheran College from 1921 to 1928. The
Hall was originally built to house 187 female students but has
since become co-ed.
- Pflueger Hall, built in 1962, was the first residence
hall built on lower campus. The building is named after Jesse P.
Pflueger, professor of religion and philosophy from 1930 to 1958.
It was designed to be a three story hall to house 212 men, but
since then has been converted to house both men and women.
- Foss Hall, built in 1965, is named after Rev. Halfdan L.
Foss, chairman of the Pacific Lutheran Board of Trustees from 1942
to 1964. The hall originally housed 188 men but has since become
- Tingelstad Hall, built in 1967, was originally designed
to house 396 men but has since then become co-ed. The hall was
named to honor Oscar A. Tingelstad, president of Pacific Lutheran
College from 1928-1943. Standing nine stories tall Tingelstad is
the tallest building in Parkland. The hall is divided into four
houses, Alpine, Cascade, Evergreen and Ivy with every two floors
sharing a common lounge.
- South Hall, built in 2000, is an apartment-style complex
located on the south edge of campus. Students must be 20-years of
age or junior standing to reside in South.
360° panorama of Pacific Lutheran University's campus as seen
on a summer afternoon.
Living on campus is an integral component of the PLU experience,
adding to the learning that happens both in the classroom and
beyond the classroom.
- First-Year Wings are designed specifically for
first-year students and staffed by returning student leaders.
First-Year Wings are located in Foss, Harstad, Hinderlie, Ordal,
Pflueger and Tingelstad Halls.
- New Transfer and Returner Wings: A New Transfer &
Returner Community is a wing of new transfer and continuing 2nd
year and older students. Programming in these wings centers around
academic and career needs-such as picking a major, finding
internships, and selecting a study away program.
- Transitioning to the Future/Career Preparation: Kriedler
& South Halls are reserved for students who are 20 years of age
or older, or who have Junior or higher class standing. These Halls
promote an independent living experience, but also support students
as they transition into post-collegiate life.
- Creative Expression: Hinderlie Hall staff and PLU
faculty partner to engage residents in creative programs and the
appreciation for the world of art.
- First in the Family Community: There are two wings
located in Foss Hall that are geared towards students who are the
first in their families to attend college (formally known as
first-generation college students, students who live in the First
in the Family Community identify as someone whose parents did not
graduate from a four-year, degree granting institution in the
U.S.). The First in the Family Community provides assistance from
staff and connects students to resources on campus to help them be
successful in and out of the classroom.
Housing: PLU has two mixed gender wings with gender neutral
bathrooms. These bathrooms are open to all users, regardless of
biological sex or gender identity. Private stalls, with
partitions going nearly to the floor and ceiling enclose toilets,
urinals and showers with individual changing areas. These wings are
designated as mixed gender, allowing rooms designated for men and
women on the same wing. Single rooms and gender neutral rooms will
be an option on these wings for students for whom biological sex
does not match gender identity.
- Global Experience & Study: Hong International Hall
is home to a unique community consisting of six language and
culture houses: Chinese,
Norwegian, Spanish and
International Honors House. Residents focus on global awareness,
language immersion and cultural engagement. Each language house
allows residents to practice their language with other residents
and form relationships with their faculty members.
- Social Action and Leadership: The Social Action and
Leadership (SAL) Community is located in Ordal Hall for 2013-2014
and will be in Stuen Hall for the 2014-2015 Academic Year.
Residents learn how to create positive change by developing an
increased understanding their own cultural identity through
critical reflection of their beliefs, values, attitudes, and
- Women's Empowerment and & Gender Equity: As a single
gender community, Harstad Hall promotes gender equality through
international programming, community building and faculty
interaction by focusing on activism, education, leadership
opportunities and reflection.
PLU has a long history of being committed to a sustainable
campus and leading the way as an example for institutions around
the world. A certification program in environmental studies was
developed in the 1970s, and a major was established in the 1990s.
On April 22, 2004 PLU President Loren Anderson signed the
Talloires Declaration, making PLU the
first Pacific Northwest University to sign the declaration. Leading
the nation as a charter signatory to the American College and University
Presidents Climate Commitment in 2007, PLU accepted the
challenge, showing commitment to achieving carbon neutrality. The
agreement called for universities to reduce greenhouse gas
emissions, but PLU has taken the initiative to set their goal of
becoming carbon neutral by December 31, 2020.
The 2015 edition of The Princeton Review’s Guide to 353 Green
Colleges recognized PLU as a green college leader.
Highlights of the review include PLU dining services using 25
percent of its food budget to buy local and/or organic food and 95
percent of the products used by the cleaning services crew being
Green Seal Certified.
PLU is currently in the process of remodeling and reconstructing
multiple buildings throughout campus. The goal is for each building
to obtain a Leadership in
Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating of Gold.
Currently two buildings have been awarded a Gold rating by LEED. In
2006 the Morken Center for Learning and Technology became the first
building to earn the award.
The Morken Building is home to the School of Business and the
Computer Science department. This 55,000 square foot, $21 million
building requires no fossil fuel to operate and is heated and
cooled by using a geothermal heat-pump system that regulates its
temperature with water stored in 85 wells located 300 feet
In 2009 a second building would earn the LEED Gold rating when the
Martin J. Neeb Center was completed. This building is home to the
radio station 88.5
KPLU and at the time of the award being presented it was the
only radio facility in the nation with a LEED Gold ranking.
The University Center was the third building to receive a LEED
rating. Following the completion of the 2006-2007 academic year,
the University Center underwent $14 million in construction
renovations and as a result earned a LEED Silver rating.
As of 2013, PLU diverted more than 70% of its waste.
For its record on sustainability, the university was recognized
with a Gold Award from the Association for the Advancement of
Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE).
In 2008, a student-led initiative brought awareness about saving
money by consuming tap water instead of buying bottled
Bottled water is not sold in any of our campus restaurants as a
result of the student-run initiative in 2011.
All of the programs in the PLU Sustainability Office are
student-led i.e. Bike Coop,
and habitat restoration.
A central tenet of Lutheran higher education – and core to
PLU’s mission – is the emphasis on education for lives
of service, and finding one’s calling, or vocation. To
support students and faculty as they explore life's big questions
and engage in fulfilling and meaningful work, the university
established the Wild Hope Center for Vocation,
originally through a grant from the Lilly Endowment.
PLU offers a wide variety of musical ensembles for students to
participate in. The instrumental groups include the University
Symphony Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, Concert Band, Jazz Ensemble,
Jazz Combo, and Chamber Music. Along with these groups the
university has a wide variety of vocal groups which include the
Choir of the West, University Chorale, University Singers,
University Men's Chorus, Choral Union, and Chapel Choir.
Choir of the
The most famous of PLU's musical groups is the Choir of the
West. Founded in 1925 the choir has toured extensively in America,
Europe, and Asia. In 1964 the choir performed the world premier of
major vocal piece, “The Vanities of Life.” A decade
later the choir would perform the west coast premier of Polish composer Krzysztof Penderecki’s “Passion
According to St. Luke”. Another notable performance came
in 1987 when the choir gave the first performance in the northwest
of Benjamin Britten’s enormous War Requiem. The choir has been chosen to perform
at several American Choral
Directors Association conventions including the national
conventions in 2005 and 2013. In the summer of 2011, the Choir of
the West toured Germany and France. That tour featured performances
at the Harmonie Festival in Lindenholzhausen, Germany, a world
competition that takes place once every six years. Choirs from 47
countries participated in the 2011 festival. The Choir of the West
won a Gold Certificate (second place) in the Large Mixed Choir
division, and the men of the choir won a Gold Certificate (first
place) in the Male Chamber Choir division. The women of the choir
were awarded a Silver Certificate in the Women’s Chamber
Choir division. The Choir of the West recently performed at the
Northwest ACDA Conference in Seattle in 2012.
Since its founding in 1925 the Choir of the West has had six
conductors. They are as follows: Joseph Edwards (1927–1935),
Gunnar Malmin (1937–1964), Maurice Skones (1964–1983),
Richard Sparks (1983–2001), Kathryn Lehmann (2001–2006)
and Richard Nance (2006–present).
The Pacific Lutheran University Chorale is a mixed choir
comprised primarily—though not exclusively—of freshmen
and sophomore singers spanning a variety of academic disciplines.
The choir meets four days a week for a ninety-minute rehearsal and
sings many times each year in concerts, tours, and campus ministry
events. The choir tours regionally and appears on PLU Christmas
compact discs. The Chorale has recently performed for conferences
of the Washington Music Educators Association (2010) and American
Choral Directors Association (2006). In March 2012, the ensemble
performed for the ACDA Northwest Division Conference. University
Chorale is conducted by Dr. Brian Galante. Brian Galante is
Associate Director of Choral Activities at Pacific Lutheran
University in Tacoma, Washington, where he conducts the University
Chorale, Men’s Chorus, and University Singers (Women’s
Chorus). He also teaches undergraduate courses in Vocal Pedagogy
for the Choral Music Educator, Choral Methods, Choral Literature,
and Conducting. University Chorale
The Mooring Mast is PLU's student-run newspaper. It was
first printed in 1924 in the basement of the university chapel. The
unusual name of the newspaper comes from the USS Shenandoah, a U.S. Navy airship.
In nearby Fort Lewis there was a large mooring structure for the
airship and the students derived the name from this in honor of the
PLU has a US Army Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC)
detachment that each year commissions officers into the active
Army, Army National Guard and Army Reserve. In addition to Army
scholarships, PLU provides a room and board scholarship. The Lute
Battalion of Army ROTC won the McArthur Award—the highest
award available—in 2010, 2012 and 2013.
KPLU-FM (88.5 MHz) is a news & jazz format National Public
Radio member station that is owned by Pacific Lutheran
University. While PLU holds the license for the radio station and
all KPLU staff members are also university employees, the station
operates nearly independently. PLU supports the station with
infrastructure, allowing it to operate without any daily overhead,
but the station is otherwise self-supporting.
PLU is a member of NCAA Division III, as well
as the Northwest Conference. PLU has a rich
tradition of athletic success: in the Northwest Conference, no
other school has won the All-Sports Trophy as many times as PLU
In 2014, PLU was honored as first recipient of Diversity Spotlight
award for LGBTQ inclusion efforts by student-athletes.
PLU offers the following varsity sports: Baseball, Men's and Women's Basketball, Men's and Women's Cross Country,
Football, Men's and
Women's Golf, Women's Rowing, Men's
and Women's Soccer, Softball, Men's and Women's Swimming, Men's and Women's Tennis, Men's and Women's Track & Field, and
Women's Volleyball. Along with these varsity sports PLU
also offers Men's Rowing, both
Men's and Women's Lacrosse and Ultimate Frisbee as club
Lutheran Lutes National Championships
||NAIA Division II
||NAIA Division II
||Women's Cross Country
||Due West, South Carolina
||Boca Raton, Florida
||NAIA Division II
||NCAA Division III
||Erin Van Nostrand
||NCAA Division III
During the academic processional at commencement, Processional
of Joy by Dr. Lawrence J. Meyer is traditionally played by the
University Symphony Orchestra.
Composed in as a unique ceremonial score in 1969, Processional of
Joy has been played at each commencement since 1970.
- E. Wayne Carp, Professor, History - selected Chair of the
2013-2014 Merle Curti Award Committee by the Organization of
American Historians, the largest learned society and
professional organization dedicated to the teaching and study of
the American past.
- Maria Chavez, Associate Professor, Political Science -
recipient of the American Political Science Association (APSA)
Latino Caucus book award for best book published in 2011 Everyday
Injustice: Latino Professionals and Racism.
She has also published Living The Dream: The Stories of
Undocumented Latino Youth.
- Brian Galante, Assistant Professor, Music - recipient of
ASCAP Plus Award.
- Jon Grahe, Professor, Psychology - collaborated on a new
Research and Education Initiative project “Collaborative
Replications and Education Project (CRaEP)“ sponsored by
Psi Chi, the international psychology honors society
and the Center for Open Science.
- Joanna Gregson, Professor, Sociology – presented her
research on romance authors at the Romance Writers of America
national conference in Atlanta with co-researcher Jennifer Lois of
Western Washington University;
wrote guest blogs for Random House publishers and USA
was interviewed for a website that reviews romance novels;
and featured in the article “Being Nice” and the
Feminine Culture of Romance Authors. She presented her paper
“Managing the Stigma of Sexual Shamelessness” on
authorship in the popular romance genre at the 2013 Princeton
- Colleen Hacker, Professor, Kinesiology – featured
presentations at the Alliance of Women Coaches conference, the APA
conference, the Julie Foudy Sports Leadership Academy; worked
behind the scenes in assembling materials and background for the
film the "Nine for IX" series by ESPN
on women in sports will feature the '99 women's Soccer World Cup team
who won in a shootout against China. Professor Hacker was the
mental skills coach for 2014 USA Olympic hockey team, in Sochi,
- Christine Moon, Professor, Psychology - participated in a live
discussion Spotlight Live: Language Development &
by The Kavli Foundation
to share and answer questions on a new study provided scientific
proof that babies can remember specific sounds and words first
encountered in the womb. She has also presented at Wartburg College, Iowa, Learning Before
Birth: What is Possible? to discuss her research on very early
learning and offer ideas about implications for early childhood
- John Moritsugu, Professor, Psychology – Lead author of
Fifth edition Community Psychology, with Elizabeth Vera, Frank Y.
Wong and Karen Grover Duffy, published by Pearson.
- Sven Tuzovic, Associate Professor, Business – Presented a
paper at the 42nd European Marketing Academy (EMAC) Joint
Symposium: “Bridging Asia and Europe in Interconnected
Marketing” organized by EMAC as well as the Korean Scholars
of Marketing Science (KSMS) and Global Alliance of Marketing and
Management Associations (GAMMA).
- Lisa Cole, 1997: Head coach of the Boston Breakers in the National Women's Soccer
Flajole, 1977: National Football League coach,
formerly the inside linebacker coach for the Cleveland Browns.
- Marv Harshman, 1942: Nation’s winningest
college basketball coach at the time of his retirement.
- Doug Herland, 1973: American Rowing Coxswain,
and winner of bronze medal for the coxed pair at the 1984 Summer
- Megan Jendrick, 2008: American swimmer, record
holder, and winner of two gold medals at the 2000 Summer
Olympics and a silver medal at the 2008 Summer
- Craig Kupp, 1990: Former National Football League quarterback.
- Don Poier, 1974: The radio and television
voice for the Vancouver and Memphis Grizzlies from
- John Zamberlin, 1979: Former National Football League linebacker and head football coach at Central Washington University
and Idaho State University.
- Joyce A. Barr, 1976: American diplomat and former ambassador to
- Lois Capps, 1959: United States
Representative, 22nd Congressional District, California.
Goings, 1995: Served as the youngest ever elected Washington State
Larsen, 1987: United States Representative, 2nd Congressional
- Jack Metcalf, 1951: Former United
States Representative, 2nd Congressional District, Washington.
Nilson, 1973: Canadian politician in Saskatchewan. Currently a member of the
- Sean Parnell, 1984: Governor of Alaska and
Brinias, 1985: Anchor at KOVR-TV in Sacramento.
- Lute Jerstad, 1958: American mountaineer and
mountain guide and one of the first Americans to climb Mount Everest.
- Jeff Olson, tried and acquitted on 13
counts of vandalism resulting from a series of incidents where he
was accused of using washable, children's sidewalk chalk to write
messages in opposition to the business practices of Bank of America
on public sidewalks in San Diego, California.